What a week! How is it only Wednesday afternoon? For those of you who don’t live in DC, below is my “Summer Beauty Inspired by BBQs and the Beach” segment, featured on Great Day Washington wusa9, yesterday. Thank you to my girl Meaghan Mooney for rocking it out with me, once again.
Before I go ahead and share all the retail credit (I hate when shows don’t actually tell you where you can buy items … That’s why I post it on this blog), allow me to vent about the past 72-hours in mommyhood.
Saturday Morning – Ilana, my 3-year-old has been on antibiotics for three days. Strep isn’t contagious anymore. It’s okay to play/interact with David, my 2-year-old. The heatwave is keeping all of us indoors. Family bonding and fun.
Saturday Afternoon – everyone is napping. I usually get anywhere from 2-3.5hrs to do my own thing. “my own thing” could be laundry, sleep, shower, prepping for segments, planning the kids week ahead, blogging, etc. Time is cut short when David wakes up with a deep wheezing cough. Right away, my husband and I know David has croup. Been there, heard that. Text doctor. Calm David. Open fridge doors and sit next to cold air with him.
Saturday Wraps Up – David is being nebulized with Meds to help open his airways. We now have these on hand. Doctor has approved. Does he have strep? Tomorrow it’s another office visit. Meanwhile, what about my trip to DC? Shoot!!
Sunday Morning – Ilana is with my in-laws, while hubby and I take David to Brooklyn where our Pediatrician practices on weekends. Okay, no strep, just croup. Keep nebulizing.
Sunday Afternoon – I can’t cancel on “Great Day Washington”. I did that last month when I rushed a very dehydrated, stomach-aching Ilana to the hospital. Who’s going to book me? Why bother working even a little?
Sunday Evening – okay maybe mom can help. Nope not the whole time. Nanny, but not all Monday and Tuesday and plus it’s two sick kids. Nobody can handle that but mommy! But I need to go.
Monday Morning – still haven’t canceled. Gotta cancel.
Monday (late) Morning – a combo of mom, in-laws, nanny, cleaning lady (my daughter loves her!!) and hubby make my 30-hour business trip possible. This was a close one.
Monday 1 hour later – I’m heading to the airport!!
THAT’s mom life. It’s a crazy, cooky existence. But, I truly appreciate every insane moment. When you see me on TV talking about time savers, products that help me (try to) keep it together, I’m speaking from my heart. To be a (semi) decent mamager, you have to be flexible and know that the plan doesn’t always go according to plan!
Now, where’s my moisturizer, silk sleep mask and Rose?
Activate charcoal is a clear winner for adsorbing oil and debris from pores on our face and body, making it the must try beauty ingredient of the moment. I’ve already raved about this black magic wonder on PIX11 NY.
- HASK Charcoal with Citrus Oil Collection ($2.49-$5.99) A complete line that features a Shampoo ($5.99), Conditioner ($5.99), and Deep Conditioner ($2.49) that are formulated to give you a deep clean and bring hair back to life. Charcoal, a hero ingredient derived from coconut shells in the Philippines, acts as a magnet and attracts and removes impurities – like product build-up from all the anti-frizz us East-Coast gals are using during list latest heat wave – so you are left with hair that is full of body and shine.
- First Aid Beauty Cleansing Body Polish with Active Charcoal ($28) This multi-tasking treatment cleanses, exfoliates and smooths to banish bumps and reduce flaky skin. The clay-based paste turns into a foaming scrub when blended with water, making it an ideal prep step for flawless self-tanner application.
If you love the Vitamin C, iron and calcium boost you get from your seaweed salad, you’ll want the superior hydration as well as anti-aging and anti-inflammatory benefits it gives as a hero beauty ingredient.
- The Body Shop Seaweed Clarifying Toner ($15) Don’t skin on toner, like many gals do. This alcohol-free toner, refreshes the skin, removing traces of makeup (ya you still see plenty of makeup even after a good cleanser) and bladderwack seaweed from Ireland leaves skin looking shine-free. looking skin.
- Aveeno Pure Renewal Shampoo and Conditioner ($5.79) Due to FedEx errors, these products didn’t actually make it into my segment, which is a shame because I’m such a fan of this sulfate-free shampoo. The Seaweed Extract and naturally derived cleansers help rebalance hair’s moisture levels, so we’re not dryied out and lack-luster.
You know drinking 6-8 glasses of water keeps your body hydrated, but did you know the ingredient is just as important in keeping your skin healthy? It’s all about 24/7 hydration perfection.
- BECCA Aqua Luminous Perfecting Foundation ($44) The 32% water composition of this liquid foundation makes it super lightweight and easy to apply. It’s also free of parabens, sulfates and phthalates.
- SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator ($178) Your skin will want to drink this up! The serum helps diminish appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and supports the skin’s natural ability to replenish its own hyaluronic acid ( you know, that cool stuff young kind produces in abundance making it look plump!!). Use HA5 twice daily, once in the morning and once at night. Apply it after toning, and treating your skin, right before you moisturize.
They may be the bottom of the underwater food chain, but up here, algae are sitting reaching the top of the beauty world. The living plant organisms are the latest ocean ingredients making motion on land because they have many proteins, amino acids and minerals. Think stimulating collagen and evening out the skin tone, for starters!
- Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lift and Firm Night Cream ($76) If you invest in one beauty item, it should be nighttime rejuvenation. This award-winning cream normalizes your levels with moisture-magnet lipids called ceramides that are made in abundance by young skin. Wake to skin that looks strengthened, younger-looking, smoothed, firmer, more lifted, and minimizes the appearance of lines and wrinkles thanks to key ingredients like algae extract.
- Tata Harper Beautifying Face Oil ($48) You know I adore this company! This lightweight, fast-absorbing face oil hydrated skin surface, and creates a brighter and firmer appearance. The brown algae extract reduce the appearance of dullness and fatigue – ya, I’m talking to you new mom. You want this in your bathroom cabinet.
PS Shout out to my beloved David, who’s doing much better, and taking a nice nap, while mommy types away.