Winter winds and warm oatmeal, there’s no better combo.
I have a bowl of oatmeal almost every morning, as do the munchkins. It’s been my digestive salvation post-pregnancy. Yes, the kiddos did a number on my insides! Fortunately, oatmeal is loaded with fiber which helps your digestive system run smoothly.
Beauty-wise oats are a tool for radiant skin, and have been used in skincare as far back as 2000 BC. Actually, oatmeal is one of the few natural ingredients to receive recognition from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Health and Beauty Benefits of Oatmeal
- Feel Fuller Longer – Oatmeal is rich in soluble fiber, so it stays in your stomach longer, making it less likely for you to have hunger cravings
- Heart Healthy – Oatmeal contains both calcium and potassium, which reduce blood pressure numbers and risk of coronary heart diseases. (FYI My friends at Burlington, along with Wendy Williams, are doing a really amazing Women Heart Campaign. #HealthyHeartSelfie Learn all about it here.
- Digestive Salvation – Oatmeal swoops into your digestive system and flushes things out, makes stool softer, thus move through you intestines faster, preventing constipation
- Hydration – Colloidal oatmeal, produced from finely ground oat grains, is full of vitamins, minerals and lipids that add moisture to skin
- Soothing Properties – Oatmeal contains both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, ideal for sensitive skin and to treating skin disorders like sunburns, eczema and poison ivy (every mom should have a diy oatmeal cream, just in case)
Here are Five Finds for Mom, Kids and Home inspired by my love of oatmeal. Have a fabulous weekend.
1. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Gentle Cleansing Bar $14 – This soap is great for my sensitive skin. It’s free of parabens, fragrance, harsh chemicals and colorants, and loaded with colloidal oatmeal, shea butter and squalene to moisturize, calm and clean my skin.
2. OatMeals 120 West 3rd St, New York, 10012646-360-3570– I just learn about this place from my pr friends at St Ives. It’s an oatmeal bar! I can’t even tell you how excited I am to check it out, this week. If you’ve been there, leave a comment below and let me you if it rocked your oats off.
3. Lekue Individual Oatmeal Maker $19.95 – You know I love my time savers! This adorable kitchen helper not only can be used to cook and serve oatmeal (one less thing to wash, thank you) it also creates perfect individual oatmeal servings and cuts the cooking time from 10-15 minutes to just around 3 minutes.
4. AMOREPACIFIC Intensive Vitalizing Eye Essence $95 – Part of the Korean skincare philosophy, essences contain effective active ingredients in a concentrated form that affect the skin on the cellular level thus giving maximum product penetration. This is eye product is applied after toning and pre-hydrating, but before serum to achieve optimal results. The metal tipped wand applicator cools skin temperature upon contact to de-puff and brighten the delicate eye area. The lift action is where the oat extract does its thing, visibly firings and lifting skin, as well as hydrating by creating a protective barrier surrounding the eye area most prone to sagging.
5. St Ives Nourished And Smooth Oatmeal Scrub + Mask $4.29- If you’re not a DIY gal, this oat-based scrub is the next best thing to help revitalize your skin. You can also use it ask a mask. Apply, leave on for abotu 5-minutes then getly rinse off with cold water. It’s a great drug-story find, at a pocket-perfect price.