Happy Earth Day!
Ever since I was in elementary school and we learned about the concept of “Reduce Reuse Recycle” – this was a rather novel concept to discuss with kids in the early 90s, at least in my corner of Brooklyn – I’ve been a little budding environmentalist. I began to beg my parents to start recycling, which they did … eventually.
When I was a teenager, I wanted to be an environmental lobbyist working for Mother Nature against the evils of those that want to strip her naked. (But, an internship at YM Magazine (RIP) altered my dreams).
When I got married and became a home owner, I laid down the rules for more intense recycling, of course by now the NYC government had my back. Fines make people do all kinds of things that are good for them – buckle seat belts, recycle, etc.
Most recently, as you may know, I’ve been on a greener, cleaner path to improve my beauty routine, as well as be mindful of the ingredients my family and I inhale via cleaning products.
So, while today is EARTH DAY, these Friday Five GREENER Finds, aren’t just a convenient way to get more traffic on a day when everyone is searching for ways to stroke their eco ego. I’m genuinely excited about the improved health and wellness of myself, my family and my planet thanks to the below items.
As always, I would love to hear from you. Drop a comment below and let me know if you use any of these goodies or have your own tips for a cleaner, greener lifestyle.
1. Plum Organics Grow Well Organic Infant Formula ($32.99/21oz) So, breast may be best, but you either don’t want to give up the boob (I totally get you), or your schedule doesn’t allow for best feeding and the machine is just too painful (ya, I’m with you) or you just aren’t producing enough milk (total bummer mama), for any or these reasons, new moms on the hunt for organic formula should check out this new product. I trust Plum Organics, as do many moms. Once you have earned a mom’s trust, we are with you at every turn. Rest assured should I have baby #3, and breast feeding may be off the table (CLICK HERE to read why) I will likely be turning to this formula (made with organic lactose, no corn syrup solids added, No genetically engineered ingredients, DHA & ARA – basically all the good stuff without all the nasties our munchkins don’t need).
2. Seventh Generation Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent Free & Clear ($28.99/150oz) When I realized my son had eczema, I got a little tougher with my laundry detergent and finally settled on this winner from Seventh Generation. It’s clinically tested to be hypoallergenic, gets the dirt out (which is key, duhh) and it’s made without dyes, synthetic fragrances, petroleum-based ingredient or optical brighteners. Oh and COSTCO carries it – winning!
3. Tata Harper Fortifying Body Lotion ($68) As my acquaintance, secret BFF, and the author of Gorgeous for Good Sophie Uliano says, if you only make one greener switch in your beauty routine it should be your body lotion because it covers the biggest part of your, well, body. I’m a huge – read HUGE the way Presidential-hopeful Donald Trump pronounces the word – fan of this farm-to-face brand. The lotion is a great anti-aging, hydrating creme that lives on my nightstand, and gets replenished every 3-4 months.
4. Force of Nature ($89.99) – a brand new appliance that electrolyzes water and a premeasured capsule of salt, water and vinegar, creating two super powerful, cleaning-agent ingredients that are a non-toxic solution for your home. It’s literally a one-stop cleaning, deoderizing and disinfecting solution for the mama who wants a chemical-free option for her home that actually cleans! Ya, so skeptics take note: the electrolyzed water lasts for 2-weeks and it’s up to 10 times more effective than bleach, without the nasty, causes-my-eyes-to-weep smell.
5. The Organic Pharmacy Rose Diamond Face Cream $435 While I’ve been following The Organic Pharmacy on Instagram for about a year, I’ve only recently begun to use their products. While on the hunt for diamond-infused spa and beauty products for my first expert post for SpaWeek’s blog – wahhu READ IT HERE – I was having a hard time finding products that lived up to my greener, cleaner standards. Many diamond-infused and inspired cosmetic and skincare products had lots of luster on the outside and junk on the inside. Then I found this new Rose Diamond Face Cream and was blown away by its thoughtful ingredients. Most importantly, yes, it does have wonderful skin shining and plumping effects. You’ll start to see it over time. FYI This one is price, but when is a good diamond not?